Saturday, September 27, 2014

Let The Light Shine In: Don’t Miss The Morning Moments!

Good Morning Everybody,

As I sit here at the computer this morning it strikes me that many people miss many beautiful moments in life.  Myself included sometimes. But as we continue our travels throughout Spain and Portugal - I plan to miss far fewer.

Porto4

What exactly do I mean by the above remark?  Each of us awake each day to a new sunrise, a new day, a new set of daily adventures, challenges and experiences. But from that first moment we open our eyes we have a choice to make – this is especially true of the traveler.  We can either roll over and go back to sleep.  Or we could climb out of bed and see what the first light of day brings to our eyes.

Maybe it’s the jet lag – who knows – but my inclination on this trip so far is to get out of bed at first light and sometimes before and see what the morning sunrise beholds.  I have to say, we have been rewarded handsomely for the effort.

Let The Light Shine In: Don’t Miss The Morning Moments!

After leaving Salamanca, Spain we headed over to Porto, Portugal – land of great history, beautiful vistas, and fine port wine!  As I said in an earlier post, we are making the rounds on this trip via Airbnb – so far a fantastic way to see the world.  Our accommodations are right in the middle of the action – see the above image.  For the second time in our travels our arrival into Porto has put us right into the middle of the action. This time we are located on the River Douro along the Cais da Ribeira overlooking the Dom Luís I Bridge.  UNESCO declared this location a World Heritage Site.  Our new location is in a vibrant neighborhood filled with locals, tourists, colors, sounds, smells, many boats, lots of seagulls and an energy that is mesmerizing.

The evening of our arrival I just sat on our balcony overlooking the river simply enjoying the wonderfully cool evening and the beautiful view of the Dom Luís I Bridge. I think I sat there for hours – the mosquito bites I found on my arms and legs the next day bore that fact out too ;~)

Porto 1

But it was still that next morning that was so beautiful with it’s first light.  I was awake early, well before sunrise.  But a short while later I could see the rays of the new day.  The camera was in my hand and ready.  I spent the next 45 minutes photographing the colors and grandeur of this new day.  The site was just amazing!

Porto6

0001_Salamanca-DZ2_3564-EditEven after the sun had risen the slight mist in the distance played magically on the bridges down the river in the distance. The town was still sleeping but the city was coming alive in the light of the new day.  Don’t miss the moments – savor every one!  It was an exciting first day in the city of Porto, Portugal.

_________________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today. I’ll update our Porto visit with more photos in a day or so.

Have a great rest of the day and I’ll see you soon!

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment