Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Technique Tuesday: Big Lighting From Small Speedlights

Good Morning Everybody,

It's a busy week for us since we will be traveling for the next  five weeks.  Not only do we have Photoshop World to get presentations polished, power points reviewed….we also have to pack for four more weeks of travel after that. But, more on that later.

Technique Tuesday: Big Lighting From Small Speedlights

Hey gang, I’ve prepared a pretty cool Technique Tuesday for you today. I'm going to keep it short and sweet but I think there's a good lesson here. And it shows the added versatility that we can bring to our speed-lighting techniques.

Recently I had to the opportunity to photograph of family portrait. We were outdoors with the beautiful vineyards in the background. The problem was that the vineyards were in direct sunlight so I had to place my subjects in the shade.  As a result, the direction of the natural light was flat and not flattering on my subjects.

Most of the time I prefer to use flash whenever I'm shooting outdoors. It just guarantees that I'll get the direction of light on my subjects exactly the way I want it. That was also the case in this portrait session – I wanted directional light on my subjects. But, I wanted that directional light to be a very, very soft and flattering light as well. Remember I’m in direct early afternoon sunlight. 

The way I handled the lighting situation is what I demonstrate in our tutorial today. Why not hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show. I hope today's lighting lesson helps bring greater flexibility to your speed-lighting as well and I hope you get even better portraits than ever before.

___________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today. It's back to work getting ready for our next BIG adventure.

Everybody have a great rest the day and I'll see you soon.

Adios, David

No comments:

Post a Comment