Thursday, August 02, 2012

"Pizza By The Slice - Bourbon Street Style"

Bourbon Street Pizza-2740

"Pizza By The Slice - Bourbon Street Style"
© David A. Ziser

I captured this image last night while walking Bourbon Street one last time. My goal was to shoot with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens only and shoot everything in HDR (Art Vivid) mode on my Canon 5 D Mark lll.  I wondered around for about 2 hours walking up and down Bourbon Street looking for the right subject matter of my self imposed late night assignment.

The bright, rich colors and strong contrasts of this location seemed to be perfect for my assignment.  I stepped into the building and grabbed a few shots.  This one was my favorite.  What struck me about this image was the sense of loneliness about it.  Here we are in the middle of one of the rowdiest streets in the country - music blaring, the smell of stale beer and perspiration everywhere, the wild come-ons and colors everywhere, and in spite of this "neon peacock" location, only three people could be found inside.

The emptiness of this location I think echo's some of the emptiness some people wondering these streets might feel in their own souls. The chaos and shear din on Bourbon Street masks that out for these lonely souls.  But Like Dragnet's Joe Friday said so many years ago.  Every city has a story and every person in that city has a story too.  What are the stories to be told in this Bourbon Street neon electric bawdy colored bar/pizza parlor?

Camera specs: Canon 5 D Mark lll fitted with Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens at 15mm, F7.1 @1/400 second, ISO 6400.  Enjoy!  -David

No comments:

Post a Comment