Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Hotel Affair"

Hotel Affair

"Hotel Affair"
© David A. Ziser

I captured this image late last night after we returned to the hotel from dinner. I’ve had the Canon 5D Mk 3 on my shoulder everyday since I unpacked it a few days ago.  I was really intrigued by the new HDR feature on the camera and decided to give it a try.

I set the camera to give me three images; one 2 stops under, the second at the normal exposure and the third at 2 stops over.  I also had the choice to set a picture style in the HDR dialogue and selected Art Bold.  I’m still not sure what all the settings do – heck, it was only my first try.

I framed up the Renaissance Marriott hotel lobby with my new Canon 8-15mm Fisheye and shot away.  One press of the shutter and a quick three shots fired from the camera.  It’s then a short 5 second wait till you see the image.  I have to say, for my first in-camera HDR experience, I liked what I saw.

The Fisheye lens certainly adds it’s own sense of the “dramatic” to the image, but the HDR effect also works well on this subject matter.  I left the camera on AWB and also like how the rich, golden tones were processed in the image.  I’m planning to do a lot more experimenting with the HDR setting today as we walk around the city.  Stay tuned.

Camera specs: Canon 5D Mark III camera fitted with Canon 8-15mm Fisheye at 15mm, F 4.0 @ 1/20 second, ISO 6,400.  Enjoy!  David

P.S. You can see the standard image the unprocessed image below, what do you think?  -David

Hotel Affair Original

No comments:

Post a Comment