Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Technique Tuesday: Dramatic Before and After Wedding Images

Good Afternoon Everybody,

Yes, afternoon – I told you I was going to get back on schedule – I’m practically there ;~)  All joking aside, we are back at it with TONS to do after being on the road so often.  My first session was at 8:00 a.m. this morning photographing the national president of the American Bar Association.  It was quite an honor. 

We did the photography on location and after we finished, we headed back to the studio, uploaded the images into Lightroom, and he and his wife selected their favorites.  All went very well, but there was a lesson to be learned.  What was that lesson – always pay attention to detail!

No Cuff showingUpon image review Bill selected his favorite image, but then pointed out that his right cuff wasn’t showing from the sleeve of his jacket. “Darn,” I’m thinking, “I should have caught that!”  The fact of the matter was that I was paying too  much attention to lighting and background and missed a very small point that I always pick up in the studio.

You know, the fact of the matter is that Bill’s profession is based on that kind of attention to detail.  As a photographer, I should have been paying closer attention myself.  Sure, I can easily remedy the situation in Photoshop, but that’s not the point.  I should have caught it in the camera.

So, ask yourself the question, “How much attention do you spend on watching for the details?”  I think the answer helps define what level as a professional you stand.  Attention to detail something we must constantly be aware of and strive for. Food for thought.

Technique Tuesday: Dramatic Before and After Wedding Images

You know, sometimes it’s just fun to play.  That’s what I’ve done in the week’s episode of Technique Tuesday.  I think the most important question you can ask yourself is, “What happens if…” The answer to that question can sometimes lead to some very creative results.

In this video, I asked myself the question “What happens if… I gel my flash with a tungsten flavored filter, set the camera to tungsten, and photograph my subject outdoors?  Well, you should be able to easily guess the answer – the tungsten illuminated area, in most cases the subject, should be the proper color balance, but the area of the scene NOT illuminated by the flash should be all blue tonalities. Hummm… maybe kind of a cool image.

I did run this video a few years ago but have updated it with a few more of my thoughts on the subject.

FlipAlso, in this video I’m testing my new Flip video camera recently discontinued.  I wanted to check the video and sound quality.  In the future I plan to have the Flip camera record the scene as I’m shooting the image. 

I know what you’re thinking, “Why doesn’t he just use the Canon 7D for the video?” Here’s my quick answer.  If I use the Canon 7D, I must pull the camera away from my face to see what I’m filming.  That’s very inconvenient for me since I wear glasses. 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to giving the idea a try. 

How about we get right on with this week’s Technique Tuesday.  Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  Tomorrows post should go up even earlier than today’s – I’m so excited to be getting back on schedule.  See everybody tomorrow, same time, same station.

Adios, David

No comments:

Post a Comment