Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Technique Tuesday: The Light Fantastic – A Fun Lighting Tutorial

Good Morning Everybody,

It was a “way too early” wake up call for me this morning. I had a schedule change late yesterday and now have a very early morning meeting. Still I wanted to get the blog up before I left.  And since time is super short this week, I’m going back into the archives and pulling out one of my all time favorite lighting tutorials for you.  Hope you enjoy it.

The Light Fantastic – A Fun Lighting Tutorial

An easy shoot, a few head shots, a few candids - we should be in and out in no time. But it never goes down quite that way. We've all gone into a shoot with a certain expectation only to quickly become side tracked with unexpected complications.

Here is the story:  I received a call from one of my favorite clients asking if I could shoot all the actors at her son's high school for their Spring Musical. She would also like some candids of the young artists as they rehearse their parts. Sure, I say. I did the same thing last year and it was a lot of fun. Besides, I enjoy watching and working with the kids.

Well, LaDawn and I show up on site and lo and behold - we've caught them at the very early stages of practice and production - no sets, no backgrounds, no costumes etc. Challenge - how could we get good pics of the actors performing their numbers and get some good head shots in these sparse and cluttered stage surrounds? Hey, as I've said many, many times it’s always about the light. It's about how to use it for best effect in both of these situations. Hit the PLAY button below for the rest of the story and a fun shoot.

_________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  I’m out of time and need to make my appointment.  I hope to see everyone tomorrow for a little twist on my series “The One That Got Away”.  Also, look for the BIG announcement of our super duper deep discount holiday specials over at our Digital Resource Center.  Plan to stop by, you won’t be disappointed.

See ya’ then,  David

4 comments:

  1. NIce job... just found this site. You are a blogging machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently found you and your wonderful tutorials... thank you so much for sharing your talent and knowledge. It's very appreciated and I have learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and thanks very much for the nice tutorial.

    Could you briefly describe how you posed each kid for the portraits? i.e.: Were they seated? Elbow resting on something? Body position/direction, etc.

    Again, thanks very much for your time and instruction.
    Ed

    ReplyDelete