Thursday, March 11, 2010

"A Kiss Goodnight"

A Kiss Goodnight

"A Kiss Goodnight"
©David A. Ziser

One of my favorite shots to take at a wedding is the "back lit" photograph.  I've been taking this or a similar type of shot since I started shooting weddings a number of years ago.  It is still a 100% seller with my clients.  Back in the pre-radio control days, my camera would be on a tripod and my assistant would be positioned behind the couple. On my count to three, we would try to sync the flash with the camera's exposure. My camera was set to 1/2 second and I would fire the shutter at about 2 1/2 seconds.  We nailed the shot just about all the time.  Things are so much easier today with my trusty Quantum Freewire radio transmitter and receiver.  Today my assistant's flash is set to 1/4 power and he/she is positioned about 12 feet behind the couple.  We were in a much tighter situation in the photograph above and my assistant needed to be closer.  The light bounced off the bride's dress and lit up the surrounds nicely. I also like how the railings on the steps lead the viewer's eye directly to the wedding couple.  Like I mentioned, It's always a great image to include for my couple and, even better, my clients love it. Camera specs: Canon 5D fitted with 24-105mm IS lens at 24mm, F 6.3 @ 1/85 second, ISO 250.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blog for some time. One question that I have is "How do you decide on the ISO setting for your shots"?
    Thanks Mike

    ReplyDelete