Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Technique Tuesday: Design Lines - Part 2, Learning To See Differently

Good Afternoon Everybody,

WOW!  What a crowd we had in Chicago last night - 350 strong (and loud.) We got started just a little late, maybe 10 minutes, which means I'm playing catch up for the whole show.  No problem for out friends in Chicago last night.  Nearly everyone stayed till the end.  We wrapped at about 10:50 p.m. making it a pretty long day for all of us.  My thanks to everyone last night for a great time.

Grand Rapids Today we head over to Grand Rapids with a pretty good turnout waiting for us over there too.  I still can't believe it, but when we finish this week, we will have completed over one this of the Fall leg of the tour. 

LaDawn and I both feel it is going quite fast.  I thinks it the photogs that show up at each city.  Everyone we meet just makes each visit to each city memorable.  We'll wrap this week and then head to Photoshop World next Tuesday.  The week following, it back on the road again and we start in Boston then head down the East coast.  Hopefully, you'll join us.

Hey gang, I managed to get my Technique Tuesday episode organized for today and I think you are going to like it. So, without further ado, let's get to it.

Design Lines - Part 2, Learning To See Differently

0010-Design Lines 2-0862-DZ_San Diego Z09About two weeks ago I posted "Design Lines - Part 1, Learning To See."  Here is the link. I discussed how to find the leading lines in the setting and how to position the subject with respect to those "compositional pointers."

In his week's episode, I approaching composition from a different direction.  This time I want to show you how to explore the setting, looking for design elements in the background that you can use to better feature your subject in the finished image.  This week, I'm discussing how regular objects like wall decor, lamps, and credenzas all come together creating a series of rectangles that offer a striking background to our images today.

The techniques discussed today work well for executive portraiture as well as wedding photography.  So hit the PLATY button below and we will travel back to San Diego for this week's lesson, I hope you enjoy the show.

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  We are cruising down the highways and by ways of our great mid west and plan to land in Grand Rapids within a few hours.  See ya' tonight.  -David

3 comments:

  1. Awesome as always, David !! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David & LaDawn,
    Thanks for the Chicago stop. It was great to say the least! Really enjoyed meeting you and helping out.
    Tom H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Dave,
    Your class and small tutorials help me to continue to be a better photographer.
    Thanks
    Ray

    ReplyDelete