Monday, March 23, 2009

"An Easy Afternoon"

"An Easy Afternoon"
©David A. Ziser

I really like the soft beautiful feel of this image. The soft lighting on the couple's was created with my flash through umbrella technique. What makes this shot work is the exterior foliage that completely filled the window in the background. That gave me the nice soft, higher key tonalities against which I placed the bride and groom. The trick was to balance the density of the daylight of the exterior with the axillary lighting on them. Too fast a shutter speed, the exterior would have been rendered to dark. Too slow of a shutter speed and the exterior would have been blown out. It's always about the balance and how that balance relates to the subject matter and the interpretation of the image. Camera specs; Canon 1D MkIII fitted with 70-30mm IS lens 230mm, F4.0 @ 1/100 second, ISO800. Enjoy! -David

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I've been asking for! Would be nice if you did a tutorial on doing this one step at a time while using a Sekonic light meter. Maybe also how to without a meter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 70-30mm IS lens at 23mm? it doesn't sound right david!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - if I were getting married I could only hope to afford your workmanship. And I would want an image precisely like this beauty, and there would be no concerns about displaying it proudly. Brian F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everybody. Yep, the lens was at 230mm. One more quick note, I typically place the groom on the other side too so his boutonniere is not covered. No boutonniere this time. The fingers showing have never been a very big deal for me although I do keep an eye on them. I think many times in the heat of the shoot - like this one - it's most important just to get the shot in the seconds allotted for the opportunity. Thanks Murray for pointing out where refinements could have been made had circumstances allowed it. -David

    ReplyDelete