Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ziser WayBack Machine #5

This week I'm featuring images from my very first Bar Mitzvahs. I got a call from these prospective clients 26 years ago asking if they could come over and discuss the possibility of my shooting their son, Adam's, Bar Mitzvah. I said yes and made the appointment - only one problem, I had never shot a Bar Mitzvah before in my life and had little clue as to how I was going to make a presentation to them for the job.

The evening of the appointment, I "fessed up" to my lack of experience in this field and showed them some wedding images! They loved the images and began "taking me by the hand" mentally as they assured me all would be well and they would be sure I got all the shots. It was a wonderful meeting and the beginning of a terrific friendship. The next day, I got 4 calls from their friends with upcoming Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and booked everyone one of them! Bar/Bat Mitzvahs now make up 20-30% of my business each year.



In the images you will see the influence of Monte Zucker's style. At that time I was bringing a background and studio lights with me to every event - see article below. Nobody in Cincinnati was shooting family and individual portraits on the day of the event thereby giving me the Difference advantage I discuss throughout this blog. I was getting pretty good at my posing, lighting, and candids. The coverage turned out just fine and the clients loved the images. I have stayed friends with that first Bar Mitzvah client over all of these years.

Last year, I got the call to photograph Adam's wedding. It was 24 years after I photographed his Bar Mitzvah. What an honor!! Watch the slide show below, pause it as necessary, and enjoy the images from 26 years ago and just last year of few of my same client. Enjoy! -David

Next week, I'll fast forward to the late eighties and early nineties - it should be a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment