Monday, November 26, 2007

Revisiting Carrot Cake Lighting

So what do three photographers talk about when they get together for dinner the first night together? They talk about "Carrot Cake Lighting" of course! If you remember, I posted a kind of a tongue and cheek posting while in Florida a few weeks ago and it kind of went all over the net. Here is the link to that "Carrot Cake Lighting" post right here. The gist of the article is how to get directional lighting from an on camera flash. Read the article for the details. I showed Kent how to do it and he came up with this great image of Sarah. I did perk up the exposure in Photoshop, but the direction of light is all "Carrot Cake Lighting" Hey, all in the name of photography and good fun.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    When you first posted your "cheesecake" lighting tip about a month ago, I was intrigued. Although I'm much more comfortable outdoors shooting landscapes, I had my teenaged daughter pose for me while I tried your cheesecake lighting tip. I used a stiff white sheet of paper to direct the on-camera flash on my Nikon D70s and then a semi-opaque cutting surface to bounce most of the light back on to Amelia's face. I was very pleased with the results, as was Amelia. However, I didn't have the nerve to tell her I was using "cheesecake" lighting.

    Here's what I was able to come up with using your technique to get the most out of the simple on-board flash: http://www.trevorjohnston.com/photos/cheesecake.jpg

    Regards and thanks,
    Trev J.

    ReplyDelete